Basic Information on the Philippine Passport for Filipinos in Alberta and Saskatchewan
- Under Republic Act. No. 10928, all Philippine passports have a validity period of ten (10) years but Philippine citizens who are under eighteen (18) years of age shall be issued a passport with five (5) years validity period. The Department of Foreign Affairs began to issue the new 10-year validity e-passport on 01 January 2018. Passports that were issued before 01 January 2018 have a validity period of five (5) years.
- All Philippine passports must have a validity period of not less than six (6) months for purposes of travel overseas.
- Philippine citizens are advised to note the expiry date of their passport and to apply for a new 10-year e-passport at the Philippine Consulate General (PCG) in Calgary before the expiry date. The requirements for a new passport and request for appointment for passport application are found in the PCG website at www.philcongencalgary.org. All passport applications must be by appointment. You may book online at https://www.passport.gov.ph/
- If a Philippine passport has a validity period of less than 6 months, the passport cannot be used for travel from Canada to other countries except for a one-way direct flight to the Philippines. Before buying your airline ticket knowing that your passport is valid for less than 6 months, you must first call the airline company to relay the validity period of your passport and to seek advice if you can board the flight to the Philippines. Purchase your airline ticket for the Philippines only if the airline company confirms that you can board the flight with a passport that is valid for less than 6 months. Upon arrival in the Philippines, apply immediately for a new passport at any DFA passport office. An expired passport cannot be used for the return flight to Canada. A new passport is therefore needed. Please note that the application for passport in the DFA passport office is also done by appointment. For more information, please visit www.dfa.gov.ph.
- If a Philippine passport has expired, the passport cannot be used for travel to any country including the Philippines. The Philippine citizen must file for a new passport at the PCG Calgary and wait for the new passport. The requirements for a new passport and request for appointment for passport application are found in the PCG website at www.philcongencalgary.org. All passport applications must be by appointment. From the time the passport application is signed by the applicant and accepted by the PCG, it will take about 8-12 weeks for the passports to be delivered from the Philippines to Calgary and upon receipt will be mailed promptly to the applicants, if the applicants opted to receive their new passport by mail. Otherwise, the new passport may be picked up at the PCG. Your confirmation of passport application and receipt of payment will state the specific date for the release of your passport by the PCG.
- If a Philippine citizen must travel to the Philippines for an emergency with an expired passport, a Travel Document (TD) can be issued by the PCG. The information and form for TD may be downloaded from the PCG website at www.philcongencalgary.org/travel-document.