APPLICATION FOR THE ALBERTA GOVERNMENT'S BURSARY PROGRAM FOR THE FILIPINO INTERNATIONALLY EDUCATED NURSES
21 April 2023, Calgary - The Philippine Consulate General in Calgary is pleased to announce the following details about the Alberta Government’s Bursary Program for the Internationally Educated Nurses (IEN), including the Filipino IEN in Alberta.
This Bursary Program is in fulfillment of the agreement under the Philippines-Alberta MOU on the Recruitment of Filipino Nurses that was signed on 6 October 2022. The Philippine Consulate General in Calgary, the Philippine Department of Migrant Workers, and the Migrant Workers Office in Vancouver successfully negotiated the MOU with the Alberta Government.
Bursary for Internationally Educated Nurses
The Bursary for Internationally Educated Nurses (BIEN) is a return service bursary of a maximum of $30,000 in supports, includes a portion of fixed and variable costs (such as assessments and exams, tuition, program fees, licensing and living costs) to complete a bridging program at one of the following post-secondary institutions:
- Bow Valley College
- Mount Royal University
- NorQuest College
The bursary is intended to encourage international students to train to complete a term of nursing employment in a rural area in Alberta.
Applicants must meet the following criteria:
- live in Alberta;
- have a valid Canadian Social Insurance Number;
- be enrolled in a full-time, bridging program as of January 1, 2023 at one of the above post-secondary institutions; and
- sign a Return of Service Agreement to work in rural Alberta within 6-months of completing an eligible bridging program and obtaining a professional certification to practice as a Licensed Practical Nurse or Registered Nurse in the Province of Alberta.
This one-time bursary consists of:
- $3,500 non-repayable incentive to cover assessment, examination, criminal record checks, licensing and program fees, etc.
- Up to 75% of tuition costs; between $2,625 per term to a maximum of $12,000 in tuition support.
- Living expenses of $3,625 per term to a maximum of $14,500.
Note: This bursary does not cover travel and immigration costs.
Return Service Commitment
The bursary is non-repayable if you agree to live and work as a nurse for a period of time after graduation in a rural area in Alberta.
- Your return service is one year of full-time nursing employment for every $6,000 in support received.
- The maximum term for return service is five years.
- Selected recipients will sign a return service contract with Advanced Education and the Rural Health Professions Action Plan (RhPAP) who will track their progress and fulfillment of their return of service obligations. Recipients who fail to fulfill their return service commitments will be required to return their bursary funding.
Students must contact the Rural Health Professions Action Plan (RhPAP) or one of the above listed schools for how to apply and deadline dates.
An individual may receive a lifetime maximum of one bursary. Recipients may hold other scholarships and accept remunerative assignments depending on the policy of the institution they attend.
Additional information about the BIEN may be obtained from this site: https://rhpap.ca/programs-services/bien/
The Filipino IEN may send their queries about the BIEN to: firstname.lastname@example.org or SAA.ExecutiveDirectorsOffice@gov.ab.ca